FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Details/Discussion of Saver (Basic Economy) "X" Fares
Old Nov 27, 2018, 1:53 am
Flying for Fun

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by sfozrhfco
This is a thread about saver fares and you picked a date when saver fares are not applicable yet on that route and did not include the many other non-stops that WN had either? What was the point of that?
There are several points. 1) There is still opportunity to book AS regular main cabin fares. 2) If Southwest is more favourable, fly it! Southwest doesn't work for me. 3) Some fly AS for Mileage Plan and don't necessarily purchase the cheapest fares. 4) Southwest isn't going to get me international premium cabin awards. 5) You don't have to pay a $30 premium (subject to change, nothing is etched in stone yet) on a $50 throwaway fare. Fly the saver. You still get EQM, RDM Bonus, early boarding, bin space, checked bag, drink, entertainment player as appropriate, etc.... If you absolutely can't live without a Premium Seat or a chance of an upgrade on a sub 2 hour flight then cough up the money for the fare increase. Do we know 100% that AS won't assign an Elite a Premium Seat if there is availability? They have only said you cannot select one at booking.

I am just comparing AS with WN on random city pairs and dates. I do see SFO-LAX where AS Saver fares are the same as WN WGA and main cabin AS are $30 more but I also see others where some WN WGA fares are higher than AS P fares. Here is one SFO-PDX for March 3rd.

When WN installs First Class seats, flies internationally to Western Canada and partners with international airlines for premium cabin awards then we can compare apples with apples. Until then no need for the fermented grapes. Things change!

James