FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Google voice # , Whatsapp and using local sim cards
Old Nov 26, 2018, 7:46 am
Dread Pirate Jeff

Programs: Marriott Platinum. AA and UA as well, but I don't care about them anymore.
Originally Posted by lwildernorva
No matter what you use, I had an experience on my current Vienna trip that reminded me to go through GV or WhatsApp when making a telephone call. I have a SIM through Tesco Mobile Ireland which I've used for several years now on various trips to the EU, especially since June 2017. If I top up by 15 euro or more, I get a data bonus. When I arrived in Vienna, I called back to the US to touch base with my office. I made the call through the phone's regular app without thinking (shouldn't be making decisions after a poor night's sleep on a plane!). Seven-minute call, 15 euro wiped out of my remaining call credit. Quickly topped up online and remembered to make the next call through GV--fifteen-minute call used up less than 25 cents of Google call credit.

I hate to learn through stupidity, but I really like the combination of an EU SIM and GV.
As an aside, how does this work with GV? In my experience, when I make a call using GV on my phone (via the GV app) it GV actually calls my phone directly and initiates the connection that way, regardless of whether i'm on Cell Data or WiFi. I've never been able to get the GV app to initiate a call using data on my phone.