FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - BA refuses boarding back to UK despite OK from Immigration Authorities
Old Nov 26, 2018, 3:49 am
Duck1981

Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by craigthemif
During the length of time of this thread, the OP could have taken the train to London... (if the assumption is true that UK passport control wouldn't care about the expired ID)

FWIW, an expired ID isn't some photoshopped nonsense. The only reason these things expire is usually so that a more current photo can be used. It's no wonder that most people wouldn't even notice that it had expired.
Hello - I was born in a German border town to Austria (with heavy cross-border travel as we had to cross only a bridge to come into Austria) but despite the ease of crossing the border due to Schengen, I was always told that I need to have my valid ID with me (or my passport) as otherwise I would cross the border without valid documentation which is a felony. Schengen only means 'no controls' but doesn't waive the need to have proper documentation (please correct me if I am wrong).

Given that, the OP might things worse by traveling to France without any ID/ Passport. Also note that Germany/ Austria have implemented full border controls (on a temp basis) due to migration crisis and any trip from Hungary by train will cross the German/ Austrian border.

Otherwise, being a German living in London with a British wife, I feel with the OP (and will use this as a reminder to check my documents always twice when traveling to continental Europe.

D