FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Feel offended by A3 [account placed in audit]
Old Nov 26, 2018, 3:29 am
East_and_West

Programs: A3*G, SK*G
Originally Posted by Knobbgb
This is similar to the requests people have posted about before, where their account was audited - usually because of excessive/suspicious use of Together accounts. What worries me is that the information asked for here is different,much more invasive and a security concern.
+1

1) Selfie. Why? I suppose it proves that you are the person in the ID, but that hardly helps. Collecting points in a false name is unlikely. If this is an existing account and you have credited 'real' points then you MUST be anyway, or you would never have boarded an aircraft.
I haven't changed my national ID card since like 15 years ago, and I hardly any longer look very much like the guy in the photo I don't even need to do this since for any transactions within Sweden my driver's licence does fine, while abroad I use my passport.

3) Utility Bill. Could be a problem for many people. I live in rural Greece and my house doesn't even have an address. I receive one domestic bill just via the Post Office with my name, the name of the Island and the postcode. the other two are done electronically. I think many/most people in the most developed countries these days deal with ALL domestic bills electronically, don't they? And we all know how easy it is to Photoshop a screenshot. Before this I lived with friends in a shared flat and, even had it had an address, I had no bills in my name.
In Sweden one pays an environmental fee of 30-40 kronor (~3.5 EUR) for getting one's bills in paper so all my bills come via e-mail. And one doesn't even need photoshop to change these documents, even Abode Reader Pro can do this. Notwithstanding that one may live with partners, siblings, flatmates etc with the bills in their name...

4) HUGE security concern - that image could stick around for ages or be intercepted. Sending a photograph of a credit card via standard email has to be about the most absurd thing one could be requested to do by a reputable company. About the only saving grace is that the CVC number is only on the back and is thus not visible.
Couldn't agree more. I have never encountered this request before with any company whatsoever. Even when I lived in the US where various companies (telecoms, utilities, banks, etc) ask you for crazy stuff (visa photos, marriage certificate, etc) nobody ever asked me to send them a photo of my credit card. The first thing that would cross my mind if I saw this in an email would be that it's a scam...

Last edited by East_and_West; Nov 26, 2018 at 3:44 am