FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Consolidated "Renting at ORD; What Kind of Cars to Expect?" Thread
Old Nov 25, 2018, 5:36 pm
ww88ww

I had 3 cars from Hertz ORD for a 2 week rental.

First rental, just after the opening of the new rental car center. I ("luxury sedan") reservation, PC status, on points. Flight was about 40 minutes early, I arrived to my name not on the board, no I cars in the PC section. The friendly and enthusiastic agent (named Christian, I think) said I could take an Evoque in the normal upgrade section. I was about to take it, but a pretty Grand Cherokee Overland rolled up, and I opted for that, preferring a nicely optioned mainstream car over a modestly equipped premium brand. Other cars available as I recall: typical Impalabus, minivans (Sienna and Pacifica), a couple Ram trucks, a few Terrain/Equinox type CUVs, a basic Grand Cherokee. Fancy upgrade section had several Corvettes. The Jeep was a fine car for a road trip.

Unfortunately, in Milwaukee, the Grand Cherokee was hit hard (not my fault, no injuries, amusingly enough hit by another Hertz rental), and rendered unusable. I got a ride to MIW from the tow operator, and was assigned what I was told was the only car left, a 45K mile Sorento, FL plates.

It actually drove fine, but I didn't want to spend the next 10 days in it, so as I was going to be in suburban Chicago the next day, I trekked back to ORD for an exchange. The process was easy, but the selection wasn't so hot. Apparently Tuesday afternoons are a busy time. Only a few cars available, no I class: all Impalabu or small CUVs, I think. Normal upgrade selection had a couple Challengers and basic SLC300s, and fancy upgrade had a Corvette and Range Rover a (big boy). I waited around awhile, and encountered the same friendly agent from the first rental. He offered me my pick of the Challengers or MBs - I chose the RT Scat Pack. Great sound, nice speed, funny visibility.

After a couple days in that around Chicago, I was about to head to MI for the next week, and snow was in the forecast. That along with the rough ride of the Challenger had me thinking of another exchange. I had to visit a nearby suburb anyway, so I showed up again. Once again, no problem at all with the exchange. Selection was varied, but no I class or similar cars - an Avalon was closest, otherwise a few Impalabus, several CUVs, Ram trucks, Sienna and Pacifica vans - not a bad assortment really, just not what I wanted. Normal upgrades had nothing I think, and the Range Rover was still there. I waited for several minutes, and an Armada pulled up. I figured what the heck, it might be comfortable on a long ride and easy in the snow. Not the greatest seats I've ever experienced, but I had no concerns in the snow a few days later.

All in all, a decent experience. All of the employees I dealt with were competent and friendly, and eventually I was able to find a car I wanted.

Last edited by ww88ww; Nov 25, 2018 at 5:47 pm