FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Mixed cabin / class award issues, questions, discussion
Old Nov 24, 2018, 8:23 pm
bse118

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by tikchik
My mistake, I should not have presumed 110K for DFW-LAX-SYD, 80% in Y, is a bad deal because one poster likes the daylight flight to LHR. Carry on AA.
??? Not a single poster in this thread has said anything to suggest that the example you started this exercise with is anything other than a bad deal.

And there have been other examples of the potential utility of a mixed class award posted in this thread:

Originally Posted by Science Goy
Not to mention I've used mixed-cabin awards to my advantage -- essentially guaranteeing myself a F seat on one leg while I wait for F inventory to open up on the other. Not on anything as extreme as these ridiculous Australia awards, but I definitely prefer the inconvenience of the current system to the previous one, where mixed-cabin itineraries were impossible (where I was blocked from a premium SFO-LAX-LHR award if the first leg didn't have F/J, for instance).
Originally Posted by cedric
What happens if there's a leg of of your itinerary on an RJ with no First cabin? Or if no F is available on the smaller, connector, segment but is on the int'l one?
Would you rather that AA not display these?
Nothing wrong with some mixed cabin awards - they open up more options for redemption.
Some will be poor value, like your example, but certainly not all of them are!