FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - United Airlines Award/Premier Accelerator Rates [2018]
Old Nov 24, 2018, 6:29 pm
JBSF

Programs: ex 1K-lite, now struggling to stay Silver. 30k more til Million Miles.
Award Accel Experience just now

Just purchased a transcon BWI-SFO ticket in C 2 days away for ~$900 vs $600 in Econ. Fare difference of ~$300 for 2450 additional PQMs = ~$.12/PQM.
At purchase, Award Accelerator options presented were for more miles at this exact cost per mile as the line above; 2500 miles for $63 (Award Miles) and $225 for Premier Accelerator miles, OR 5000 for $120 and $450, which cost out to $.115 / mile.
Decided not to purchase. Moved on to next task.
Found a good ticket for return trip next month, direct, for $319, and purchased 7 day farelock.
Then went to check award accel options addable to my existing purchased westbound reservation. This time the costs per mile were again the same but the mileage increments were different, at 5k and 10k miles.
I now wish I had purchased the first lower offer since I only will need about another 1 thousand miles to retain silver status.
Will reevaluate when I pull the trigger and purchase eastbound trip, and will also consider a shorter trip at end of year to attain my final miles for 25k for 2018. Comments welcomed. I've never purchased miles without flying them before.