FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Disappointed in Black Friday Sale
View Single Post
Old Nov 24, 2018, 3:26 am
corporate-wage-slave
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I've had a quick scan through the other airlines where I am a frequent flyer/trainer in their relevant schemes.

- Air France - their marketing partly impresses me since they make it NCL specific But as ever, all their bargains seems to be on unusual routes such as to Fortaleza and Wuhan. Their headline rate was £259 return in economy to Kuwait.

- Lufthansa - £25 off voucher but a fairly open use of it, base fare just needs to be over £25 to get all £25 off. This was a "Cyberday" promotion. Headline offer: Buenos Aires £446 in economy. Otherwise reassuringly boring (which I actually quite appreciate!).

- KLM - the previous weekend they had some special cut-rate mileage related deals, which were more impressive, so MME (Yarm International)-SFO for 34,000 miles. They don't seem to have a Black Friday or Cyberweek special that I can see, but they are touting MME-HKG for £433.

- Vueling - a few euros off their lowest fares, so fares which are typically 25€ may be 22€ now

- Eurostar - train + hotel deals but no specific headline figures.

- Iberia - just a listing of fares they want to highlight, including Montevideo on £535 economy, and LHR-MAD for £68 return. Reference to a 20% reduction on Iberia Holidays but no other details.

- Ryanair - they always succeed it coming up with some amazing headline figure, this time it is L'viv in Ukraine for £9.80 return! Huge amount of flight for that fare. Or Olsztyn/Allenstein for £5.14 return. More usefully for me, NCL-DUB for £19 return but that's only slightly cheaper than their usual low fare.

- easyJet - they forgot to email me, but online there is some suggestion of £90 off their easyJet Holidays (flight + hotels). Probably the lowest key of "my" airlines.

Now set against the above, in my view BA's deals put themselves apart by
- being premium fares focused (and such is the USP on BA)
- BOGOF
- £100 of £2,500 BA Holidays
- shorthaul CE (including LHR-NCL at £161 return, which is near TP Run territory, Hamburg and Billund are also in this space)
- being well highlighted in email and on their website