FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Details/Discussion of Saver (Basic Economy) "X" Fares
Old Nov 23, 2018, 5:07 pm
lalala

Programs: Alaska 100K - MM, defender of shoes on the carpeted bulkhead 4ever, AA LT PLT, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia
[QUOTE=Visconti;30460019]
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
I don't disagree with any of this. But here's why I'll probably (grudgingly) stick with AS. The "saver" SFO-NYC fare is $119. Main is $149. So I'm going to pay $60 (round trip) to use my elite benefits. That bothers me a fair bit -- elite benefits are "earned" and supposed to be free.
/QUOTE]

Fair point here. Aside from short haul intra CA or LAS flights, I mainly fly into NYC. Here, I'm captive, since UA/DL/AA are all doing the same thing. Likely, if a GGU is available, I'll just book it, otherwise I may take my chances with AA (using 500 mile upgrades), or just book Mint.

Absent of transcon, I can't see where AS will win out over WN, all things being equal.
I think the mileage earning is the only bright thing here, the problem is we're sitting on hundreds of thousands of miles that can't be used to anywhere without paying heaps of taxes. This enhancement will cost us easily 1600 bucks next year.