FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Suggestions for an Italian road trip
View Single Post
Old Nov 22, 2018, 8:27 am
AlicorporateUK

Originally Posted by EvilDoctorK
Yeah , but a lot of roads have the compulsory carry Snow Chain signs on them ( even quite major ones - pretty sure including some Autostrade - as well as quite far south .. I've seen them in Sicily in not particularly mountainous areas ) and the restriction is quite lengthy in many cases running until late April ? ... My understanding is that if you were stopped ( admittedly fairly unlikely ) you'd be in trouble if you didn't have snow chains in the car regardless of the actual weather
As far as I'm aware, it's either winter tyres (fitted, needless to say) or snow chains on board. The rule (where relevant and, as you rightly stated, roads all over Italy and indeed all the way down to Sicily may be affected) applies from November 15th to April 15th and the risk of getting pulled over (especially at the exit of major motorways or on those where it is most likely to snow) is fairly likely (personal experience last year, twice in a month, as myself & the Mrs were driving to Abruzzo from Rome down the A25, the first thing they checked, without even asking for documents, were the winter tyres).

G