FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - F Award Space
Thread: F Award Space
View Single Post
Old Nov 21, 2018, 5:03 pm
QRC3288

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by SPiKA85
Hello!
I'm trying to get 2 award seats in F Class for a flight from LAX to HKG. I already booked one seat in F, and the other one in J.
And the idea is to upgrade the J to F near the travel date.

The problem is that the flight has just 2 seats left in F.
Do someone know if CX releases more award space in F near the travel date even if there's just one or two seats available?
Is February peak season for this route?
What are my chances?
chances aren't high, but your best bet is to ensure you're on the waiting list. That ensures you'll get it if CX releases another, and in this scenario will basically box out partner access to F for that flight. The waiting list gets first look before released to the general AM availability pool, and then partners.

The waiting list is indeed ranked by CX elite status, so if you're not CX elite or a lower tier obviously someone can trump you, but it is still a nice perk of an otherwise underwhelming program. It puts you at a big advantage over the guys using other OW currency, or Alaska points. If you're looking for CX F hands down waiting list is the best way to secure a seat, despite the fact it can be annoying and sometimes doesn't clear until very late.

Years ago I had waiting list problems, whereby it was bypassed and went straight to general inventory. It was a highly annoying glitch. But I haven't experienced that problem in years and have had maybe 5+ successful J-F waitlists in the last few years.