FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The Driskill - Austin - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD
Old Nov 21, 2018, 11:15 am
txhyattlvr

Originally Posted by VegasGambler
I have an upcoming stay. I'm booked in an ultra-small petite queen but chances for an upgrade (at least to a larger room) look very good -- there is tons of availability and they just dropped prices by $20/night (which I just took advantage of by switching room types and then switching back).

I got an email offering me a 4-Texan-beer add-on (delivered to room) for $30. The price is not bad (actually, I have no idea what going out for a drink costs in Austin... for SF you would probably pay more than this in a bar) Are these decent beers? Local / interesting / hard to find stuff? Also is it really just $30 (plus whatever taxes apply) or do they tack on room delivery / convenience fees?

I'm really excited about this hotel... it looks beautiful.
4 Beers for $30 (before tax and probably a service charge) seems pretty steep. They have a huge and very elaborate cowboy-themed bar... why not just wait and order up when you get there? That's what I'd do....

As for the rooms, they are tiny. I was barely upgraded at all when I was there as a Globalist (and got a whiff of attitude when I commented on this). Personally I prefer the HR Austin over the Drisk but I know I'm in the minority. HR Austin = Great upgrades, beautiful renovated rooms, easy parking, great views, good food, nice people, and located adjacent to the Bat Bridge which is still an easy walk to the bars if that's your main focus. It's a renovated classic Hyatt atrium design.