FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Ritz Carlton Kyoto, Japan [Master Thread]
Old Nov 21, 2018, 10:19 am
jmj10

Just got back from a two night stay last week - can confirm they give breakfast to Platinum Elite (not just PPE), as well as two drink coupons for a special menu at the bar. We had to ask for an upgrade which I wasn't entirely pleased about as they had plenty of available rooms (it made for a very awkward check-in experience which I can elaborate on if anyone is interested), but the desk manager was very apologetic after the fact and even paid for our taxi to dinner. We ended up with a river view room which was stunning - the hotel and staff during our stay were wonderful. I HIGHLY recommend the activities team - we did a sunset hike and it was amazing. The hike itself was actually quite challenging up Mount Daimonji, but the views were breathtaking. They took our photo on at the top of the mountain and when we checked out, they had put the photo in a lovely wooden frame and written us a beautiful card! If anyone is interested in pictures, let me know.

Location: Very good. 5 minute walk to several subway stations, 10 minute walk to Gion, 10-15 minute walk to downtown Kyoto/Nishiki Market

Room: Lovely and spacious. The bed was very comfortable. Excellent turndown service, plenty of water/tea/coffee for the Nespresso. Due to the odd check-in experience we actually saw several rooms, and while the river view was largest the others were very nice as well.

Amenities: Used the gym, pool and sauna facilities. The pool is great. The locker rooms had big soaking hot tubs, which we enjoyed.

Dining: We thoroughly enjoyed our breakfast, which had fresh pastries from the Pierre Hermé bakery on-site. I ended up purchasing a half dozen raspberry croissants to go. The several drinks (both from the welcome menu and off the regular bar) were very well done. We saw the tea service several times, and I regret not doing it.

Activities: As stated, you should really take advantage of this if you're on the fence (especially the complimentary ones!). Both the sunset hike and AM bike ride to Fushimi Inari are highly recommended. There was also a free art walk-through with a guide of all of the art in the hotel. If we had more time, we certainly would have taken advantage of this as well.