FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Buenos Aires (EZE) - the ultimate Q&A thread
Old Nov 21, 2018, 10:16 am
Marambio

Programs: Flying Blue Gold
Originally Posted by CDG1
Thanks a lot for your answer Marambio and thanks to the other FTers input.

The city airport can only harbour smaller size aircraft. Buenos Aires is a long ways away from many of these countries. Considering the distance they will want to avoid refueling stops for as much as possible. A lot of incoming larger aircraft have to be expected.

Marambio... you seem to be quite knowledgeable about EZE airport. I am trying to figure out which platform air side you are talking about with partial views of aircraft movements on Runway 29. Any gate numbers? Duty Free area? Is there much view of the runway?

I must stay air side. If I go through passport control, etc. There will be no turning back. I have a 70-300 mm zoom lens among other equipment. Distance should not be a problem. I just want to be sure I won't miss out and I can see a fair bit of the incoming planes.

From the information I have, only runway 29 will be in service starting 29 November to 2 December. Which direction the planes are landing will depend on the wind conditions. The other runways will be reserved for aircraft parking.

There will be a flurry of 747s arriving. Trump's two VC-25s (747-200 format) and a 757. Prime Minister Abe always travels with two Japanese Air Force 747-400s, China's Xi flies in a B747-8i, India's Modi travels with a B747-400, South Korea also has a B747-8i Vladimir Putin has at least two Il-96s 4-engine aircraft, possibly three. Erdogan, Merkel and Macron have Airbus 330s or 340s, depending and there will be more.

Not sure the Arab Sheikhs/Kings are part of G-20 and what type of aircraft they are using. They will have sizable aircraft if they make the trip. A lot of the lesser executives and government delegations will be travelling commercial flights.

There will be heightened security. It makes total sense. Security forces should not be going after plane spotters. Plane spotters bags can be easily checked. Cameras, lenses, filters, chips, a smartphone for checking FR24 or plane finder sites, live ATC tower, ID card, food/drinks... Few go around with radio scanners nowadays. Some might take stepladders. Plane spotters are no danger for security. They can warn authorities if there see any suspicious activity, with they do in many cases.

I got it from a contact that during the time when G20 world leaders will be in Buenos Aires all the highways will remain closed and there will be no means of public transport. Can somebody here confirm?
Thanks.
Even though EZE has three different check-in and arrivals "terminals", all of them are under one roof and, if staying airside, you can walk freely from the first gate to the last without any issues and controls.

Here is a chart of EZE courtesy of Aviacionline: https://aviacionline.com/wp-content/...eiza-plano.jpg

Active runway is usually RWY11. It is the longest and has the only CATIII ILS. If weather is clear (most likely by this time of the year), they can switch to RWY29 depending on winds. EZE has an old runway layout and as such all runways cross each other -- this is 1950s airport design, so planes could land irrespective of wind directions. The problem, however, is that two runways cannot be simultaneously active, as planes risk crossing one another. So if 11/29 is active, no need to worry about 17/35, as 99.9% of chances are it will be closed.

The closest gates to RWY11 are those in "terminals" B and C, i.e. gates 14, 15 and upwards, close to the Aerolíneas and LATAM lounges. The runway can be seen from a distance (remember there's the parking platform in between). From there you can also spot the edges of former RWY 05/23, which is where --they say-- VIPs will park.

For obvious reasons I have never changed planes at EZE, but I would double check if you don't need a boarding pass for a connecting flight in order to enter the transit area. Landing passengers are directed through a long corridor directly to immigration and customs, so unless you can use the transfer lane you won't be able to reach the airside area.

As for public transport in BA during the summit, yep, it's going be chaos. There's another thread on this forum where it's being discussed.

Last edited by Marambio; Nov 21, 2018 at 10:24 am