FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Why is Airbnb 'strict cancellation' so one-sided ?
Old Nov 21, 2018, 8:05 am
travelmad478

Programs: BA GfL
Originally Posted by shawneve
Owner said no, which is disappointing. Pretty sure he will get a rebooking almost 4 months out.
So my main question is, if I definitely need to cancel, why would I do it now? Why would I help the owner with more time to rebook and make more money when he won't help me?
There is no additional penalty for me to wait until 8 days before as i still get the same money back. But the owner is less likely to rent if I wait that long.
Sure, you can do whatever you like, and if your actions are purely designed to be vindictive, that’s your prerogative. That said, by waiting you’re also letting Airbnb (not the host) keep your money for an additional 4 months. Which is more valuable to you, attempting to penalize the host for your failure to read/accept the clearly posted cancellation policy, or having the cash back in your hands?

If this were an airline you were dealing with on a nonrefundable ticket you’d bought, would you do the same thing?