FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Why is Airbnb 'strict cancellation' so one-sided ?
Old Nov 21, 2018, 6:38 am
shawneve

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hilton Diamond AC*75K
I booked a beach property for a week mid-March (I assume this is prime Spring break time as rates are higher) Owner has strict policy in place therefore if I were to cancel now until 7 days before I would only get 50% back.
I reached out and asked that because it still far out (and an in-demand time) with plenty of time for someone else to book, would they offer a higher than the normal 50% refund (not expecting full)
I have had a job change and very likely wont be able to make the vacation time work now. So I was hoping that reaching out so far in advance would be good for both of us.
Owner said no, which is disappointing. Pretty sure he will get a rebooking almost 4 months out.
So my main question is, if I definitely need to cancel, why would I do it now? Why would I help the owner with more time to rebook and make more money when he won't help me?
There is no additional penalty for me to wait until 8 days before as i still get the same money back. But the owner is less likely to rent if I wait that long.