FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - CSP & CSR Trip Cancellation/Delay Insurance Issues/Comments (2016 - 2019)
Old Nov 20, 2018, 1:43 pm
threeoh

Originally Posted by mkt80
I'm supposed to fly out on Thursday with my spouse but he is currently in the hospital and it is not clear yet if we will be able to make our travel plans, which include 2 one way flights (JetBlue and Delta) and an airbnb. I've never submitted a reimbursement request and I'm not sure what the best way to proceed is (for CSR). We would much rather get reimbursed for expenses than receive travel credit and only get reimbursed for the cancellation fee. Is there any way to reject credit from the airlines and receive reimbursement from CSR?
Sorry that your spouse is in the hospital.

Definitely you should be able get the change fees covered (usually $150 on JetBlue and $200 on Delta, so $700 between the two of you) right away. Same with the cancellation fee on the airbnb, as long as you cancel within 48 hours of a doctor advising you not to travel [or the date of their letter saying not to travel].

There is evidence that if the airline credit goes unused and expires in 1 year you can make a new claim at that time, see this post upthread. I think there was also another post on this thread saying that they signed an affidavit that they were not going to be able to use the credit, and the insurance company accelerated the claim for the unused funds, but I can't find that post now.

If you end up not being able to fly, make sure you cancel with the airline before the check-in deadline (and don't forget the return leg). If you no-show, the insurance claim will likely not go through.

Best of luck!