FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Uber Fraud - Driver induced?
View Single Post
Old Nov 20, 2018, 1:42 pm
VegasGambler
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GUWonder
I've had to dispute back to back Uber ride charges and it's just not worth it at times. In some cases a ride that was supposed to be under $X ended up being 3$X+ with a map showing the driver going places that I had never been to, never requested and never was at during the times of the supposed ride. And tolls weren't the issue. After a series of complaints they refunded the money but it basically meant that most of my Amex Uber credit went to waste as did my time. It seemed like the driver deliberately left open the trip until he got another fare in the vicinity and probably stopped somewhere in between for the better part of the hour after he dropped my party off, but it could also have been due to incompetence. Either way, it is disappointing when it's not as straight as an old school taxi and even more expensive than a regular taxi.
I've had something like this (not this extreme) happen to me on multiple occasions. I don't blame uber for that -- it was probably just driver error (possibly malice, but probably just error).

Once I requested an Uber pool and it sent me (and charged me for) an uber X with a massive surge charge.

Two or three times, I had Uber charge me a $5 cancellation fee when the driver canceled. I've seen that happen to my friend when I was standing right beside him as well, so I assume that it is (or at least was) a fairly common problem. The last time they did this (2.5 years ago) I just requested a refund and closed my account. I've been exclusively with lyft ever since and things have been much better. Mistakes are much more rare, and, when they do happen, they are immediately corrected. No automated responses blaming the customer for the error.

My only surprise from this thread is that it's the OP's first real issue. I was under the impression is that issues like this were fairly common.