FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Details/Discussion of Saver (Basic Economy) "X" Fares
Old Nov 20, 2018, 11:28 am
eponymous_coward
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by isaac.chambers
The proliferation of the Saver fares happened overnight....i now see them on SFO >> LAX in January. Very tough to see this get rolled out especially since there is a big up-charge now between X and R class.

SFO >> LAX - $30 one-way (49 versus 79)
LAX >> SFO - $30 one-way (75 versus 105)

SFO>>MCI - same $30 add for Main fares.....

SO essentially its $60 add r/t to use your benefits for AS.....WN is matching the saver fare levels in this time with WGA fare class.

So if i cant get into F class....why am i flying AS instead of WN?
Ding ding ding. I fly SEA-LAS a lot. I frequently change dates or use SDC. If I have to pay a $30 premium for SDC and the ability to not lose the use of my fare if my dates change on an AS route, or I pay the same as WN on the route, except get WORSE benefits (no SDC and fares are use or lose), and I won't be upgraded to F on either WN or AS, I'm walking to WN on that route. I can outright BUY Alaska miles for 2 CPM and get access to their international partners on an award. On a two hour flight the big front seat and whatever arugula kale smoothie polenta AS is serving to try and be hip isn't worth much of a premium to me.

These fares are all over the system: SFO-LAS, for instance. Gee, good thing that's not a competitive route with WN...