FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - UA Upsell Offers to Business/First at Purchase and Day of Departure (TOD) [Archive]
Old Nov 19, 2018, 6:42 pm
bigwings8

Programs: UA S, Marriott Gold (UA), Hertz PC (UA), HH Gold (cc), Avis PP, National EC Executive
Today I was #3 for 3 seats left with an hour before boarding. 2 min before boarding starts, they haven’t cleared the list, so I walk over and politely ask if they’re going to clear upgrades. “We dont clear upgrades until half an hour before departure in case someone wants to buy up during check in,” was the response I got.

So boarding begins 10-15 minutes before the upgrade list clears? So then I should just stand and wait by the counter and not board while I wait for the upgrade?

I can accept that they wait until boarding *begins* to clear upgrades. It’s their prerogative to try to sell seats and make some extra $$. But waiting until after groups 1 and 2 (and preboarding) means that the people who get upgraded have to relocate to the front of the cabin after taking their seats.

And if I choose to wait by the counter, then that’s just more inconvenient time sitting around. If I have a carry on it means no carry on space.

In this case, it meant that I didn’t get to use the restroom. I was waiting by the gate instead of being on the plane. Then the rather rude and snippy first class attendant wouldn’t let me use the bathroom shortly before the door closed.

And this is the first time in 9 flights over the past month that I’ve gotten an upgrade. I can accept not getting upgrades on cheap fares, but I found today’s customer service crappy. My experience probably would have been better without worrying about or getting the upgrade. Thanks UA.