FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Question: Big Fire, Few Hotels, Marriott Says "Your Reservation Will Be Honored."
Old Nov 19, 2018, 3:42 pm
zippy the pinhead

Originally Posted by RogerD408
You might want to confirm that cancellation. Although there is a very valid reason for it, others have reported mysterious cancellations popping up and MPG reporting it was initiated by the member when it wasn't. From what I've been seeing it's not an area you want to be in unless absolutely required.
Good advice; I already emailed Marriott customer service regarding this, because both of my reservations are still showing as valid and active on Marriott.com. Go figure.

Basically I'm not expecting the situation to change, and in any case, it's not a total disaster, as we were planning to drive anyway, so it's not like we had paid for flights or whatever. As I stated upthread, we don't have any desire to displace someone who has already lost their house, and I'm not impugning malice or any such thing, but at the very least I think Marriott ought to be proactive in contacting a future guest to tell them "we're sorry, but we can't do this..."

We'll see what they have to say. I'm not really expecting a response to my email, but if my reservations still show as valid after a couple of days, I'll call them.

Everyone is having a very hard time up there, it is so sorrowful and awful. Sacramento obviously views PG&E as too big to fail, so everyone else will have to suck it up. I'm sure there are many up there who were uninsured or underinsured. Lots of retirees, people in what should be their golden years.