FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - 'You're gonna lose your money' 'There was no booking, no confirmation'
Old Nov 19, 2018, 10:17 am
canadiancow
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by PointWeasel
Just today I tried to change seats on a confirmed and ticketed booking and received a 'Gateway Connection" error to the website, not once but twice. I finally gave up and called in. The agent was typing along and said "you know you can change seats on the website, sir".
I always start those calls with "I'm having issues with the website, can I select some seats please?" I did in hopes that agents would escalate passengers being unable to change online, but I guess if it prevents any attitude from them, that's another benefit.

Originally Posted by AC*SE
Disputing with the card issuer probably would go not much further than the supplier demonstrating, "here's the e-ticket that was issued at the time of purchase." If there's a ticket number, the service was "delivered."
That was my thought too. From AC's perspective, he no-showed a flight. That's not "failure to deliver".

Originally Posted by Twickenham
I think the greatest indication of the validity of the man's complaint was AC's reaction when they were contacted by the CBC: a full refund, plus a $200 credit to boot. Had they really thought they had a leg to stand on, there would have been at least some resistance.
I'm pretty sure @expert7700 had this same issue before, but the agent on the phone was able to see that no email had ever been sent (check the PNR logs for a booking - there's a LOT of data there), and he was able to get a refund. Though it may be someone else.

Here's an excerpt from a PNR of mine (email redacted).

Code:
5-CREDIT CARD RECEIPT EMAIL SENT FAILED AT 0729 YTOSJSU14MAY
5-TO S*****//GMAIL.COM YTOSJSU14MAY
5-EMAIL RESENT FAILED AT 0730 YTOSJSU14MAY
5-TO ALL PAX S*****//GMAIL.COM YTOSJSU14MAY
5-EMAIL RESENT FAILED AT 0752 YTOSJSU14MAY
5-TO ALL PAX S*****//GMAIL.COM YTOSJSU14MAY

In this case, I knew it had been booked, and I flew it, so all was good. But the email never came. The system tried to send it at 0729, 0730, and 0752. So there's even some redundancy. But it failed three times, and the records prove it.

I suspect AC finally pulled up the PNR, saw something like this, and issued the refund.