FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Any rumors of UA bringing back carry-on for BE?
Old Nov 19, 2018, 9:21 am
emcampbe
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Don’t have the link with me, but in a WSJ article last week talking about BE in general on all the carriers, including Alaska’s take on it, quoted someone from UA saying they have no plans to change the carry on restriction (though the article also refers to it as restricted from using the overhead bin, which technically isn’t true, as the rule only allows a smaller article, which technically, room permitting, could be put in the overhead).

The arricle also also talks about what many folks on here also speculated: that BE and the restrictions it comes with is meant to get people to pay up to the regular fare.

IME, I don’t personally think it will change, and honestly, I don’t think it has to. If you want a bargain basement fare, then feel free to buy it, but understand it’s bargain basement because it comes with restrictions, somewhat different than the restrictions on Spirit, Frontier, etc., but similar. If you want the full benefits of a regular fare, then forget about BE and just purchase a regular fare. If you like DL or AAa version of BE, then go for it. I don’t think UA is concerned about losing too many BE fares, as if you go to someone else, they can sell that seat to someone else who might be willing to pay the regular fare.