FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Waldorf Astoria Bangkok {THA}
View Single Post
Old Nov 19, 2018, 1:24 am
Kilian Zoll

Programs: KF, MPC, BAEC // Bonvoy, WoH, Honors
Originally Posted by EGW1
I'm in Bangkok pretty regularly and have stayed at a lot of the business hotels. During my last trip, due to availability, I had to switch between St Regis, Waldorf, and Park Hyatt (never stayed at the Waldorf previously, the others many times). Straight to the point - I wouldn't recommend the Waldorf. Requesting an upgrade to a suite was a hassle at reception, although they did eventually (reluctantly) extend it...the suite itself was nothing to write home about, it essentially looked over a car park and power-plant, and the surrounding buildings are close, so you need to keep the drapes closed anyway. The suite is really just a large room, there is no separate living area. The pool area is also too small.

Plus points...the food was good (in particular the Michelin restaurant, Front Room), the Spa treatment was good (the Spa facilities are so-so, and were out of action during some of my stay for repairs), the 55-57th floor bars are excellent, and the location is good enough.

Diamond breakfast benefit was I think full buffet from what I can remember.

I'd eat and drink at the hotel, but I'd stay elsewhere. Park Hyatt is often same price point, sometimes St Regis is too (and on a good deal Mandarin Oriental can be)...all are much nicer / better hotels in my opinion.
Thanks for your insights. Your thoughts on WA seem pretty similar to what I've experienced at the Park Hyatt. Good food overall (I especially enjoy the breakfast here) but the rooms are quite small - although suites are de facto suites with a separate living room area. Pool is small (but even smaller at WA?).

I'm finding the St Regis to show its age already. Perhaps it's the bad construction quality you generally see in Thailand.

OT:
How do I find rates at the MO similar to PH/WA/StR? When I have checked they always seem to be at least double of what you'd normally pay at the others. Been wanting to stay here for a while.