FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - A Week in the Caucasus: Georgia, Azerbaijan and Armenia
Old Nov 18, 2018, 8:37 pm
ChiefNWA

Programs: DL Diamond, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold

Day 4

After a pleasant couple of flights, welcome to Baku. At 3:30AM. After landing and disembarking at the new terminal, which was quite modern, I started to devise a plan for the day. I knew the hotel was not going to check me in (and they infact did not), so I planned on just dropping my bag at the hotel and hitting the city full force in an attempt to keep myself awake. I attempted to take Uber from the airport, but for the life of me could not find any of the drivers in the mess of taxi drivers outside.

I decided to shoot sunrise at the Heydar Aliyev Cultural Center, which is an architectural masterpiece designed by Iraqi-British architect, Zaha Hadid. This was the first time I've ever been given real trouble over taking pictures before (outside of the standard, "hey, don't take pictures here.") I had three different security guards approach me throughout the shoot (which lasted maybe 35-45 minutes) grilling me as to why I was there and what I was doing. They all let me continue after realizing I wasn't shooting video, which seemed a bit odd. Nonetheless, I got the pictures I wanted.

Lines.

Lines.

Backside of the Heydar Aliyev Center.

Architecture.

Heydar Aliyev Cultural Center.

Reflection.

I hopped in an Uber and headed down to the waterfront next, the Baku Boulevard.

Baku Boulevard on a nice Sunday morning.

Baku Boulevard.

Taking a stroll along the Caspian Sea.

Found this spot with a view of the Flame Towers, which I'd return to for sunset/blue hour.

The next stop was Baku's Old City, which includes Maiden Tower, built in the 12th century.

A good view of Baku's Flame Towers.

Walking to the Old City.

Old City, Baku.

Old City, Baku.

An old Lada.

I climbed up to the top of Maiden Tower for a nice view of the city.

I then moved on to lunch where I started off with some dumplings.

Lamb for the main.

I was finally able to get a room around 2PM, where a shower and a nap were greatly needed after 30+ hours of no proper sleep.

After a few hours of sleep, I headed off to the Flame Towers.