FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - If you could design United's premium cabin food-- what would the menu be?
Old Nov 18, 2018, 4:54 pm
eastindywalrus

Programs: DL Skymiles, AF/KL Flying Blue
Originally Posted by catocony
If they start putting Indian food on flights, they are going to have to deal with passengers upset with smell, or the unhappy person who can't stomach it who has a choice of it or whatever is in economy if they're the last to order. The same would go for some other Asian fare as well.
Count me as one of the strong opponents to increasing the amount/frequency of Indian cuisine on airplanes. The smell of curry permeates everything. It doesn't make me sick - it just smells bad. I usually fly DL, but it doesn't matter what carrier you're on - 15 minutes after the meal service ends on a TATL where any sort of curry dish was served, the whole cabin reeks to high heaven. Other non-curry dishes can be overly aromatic as well, leading to a very unpleasant experience.

It's no different than someone bringing greasy fast food onto a plane (which, to be fair, I do enjoy - just not on an airplane). Foods that are overly aromatic, regardless of cuisine, are not suitable for in-flight dining. A little more wiggle room in this department should be permissible for the premium cabins, where passengers have a little more space between them and the next passenger, but in cattle class, anything that smells should be tossed out into the jetway before closing the cabin door.