FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - BA denied boarding - no compensation
View Single Post
Old Nov 18, 2018, 4:11 pm
Mrlmrl

BA denied boarding - no compensation

Hi everyone,
I've just found this forum and wanted to check if I can get any help to figure out what to do with my situation. Thanks in advance for reading.

I'll try to summarize as much as possible:

We got denied boarding in July in Mallorca with my husband. (Were flying back home to London).
CEDR have decided we won't get compensated and we have 2 weeks to write back now.

On the flight day, our original flight was with easyjet, when it was cancelled, we bought a BA flight for the same day. Checked in online and went to the airport 3 hours early.

At the gate, there was an employee of Iberia who was handling the BA flight. He told us we were "unchecked" from the flight. We showed him our boarding passes, he said he couldn't understand the situation, called his manager 2 times, (talked in Spanish so we couldn't understand). He said he wanted to help us but his manager told him not to take us to the flight and there was nothing to do and that we should talk to British Airways. On that spot we called BA. call center only said "it says you need to buy new ticket".

Our flight took off. We found 2 people from Iberia, asked for a document telling we were denied boarding without reason. they told there is no such document, they couldn't help us and we should talk to BA again and again. We bought another ticket with another airline for next day and as it was midnight already, found a hotel for the night.

After a few calls, 3 days later we learned that we were "flagged" as a suspicious fraud case and they were supposed to ask us to present our credit card. But in reality the guy at the gate did not know this and definitely not a word of "card" was spoken. (we were probably flagged because we booked on the same day of the flight - i learned this is a reason for BA to flag passangers.)

Now, CEDR is refusing to compensate us based on this explanation: BA side said that they sent an email to Iberia to check our credit card and it's HARD TO BELIEVE that the employee did not ask our credit card. They based everything on an internal email.

We sent them the credit card records proving that we used our card on that day in that airport. Card was with us, we lost our salary from next day, there is no reason for us to deny presenting our card.
So since they are finding our claim "hard to believe", and we can't prove that the guy did not ask our credit card, we don't know what to do at this point.

What would you do if you were in our situation? If I ask the call records from the call I had with BA at the gate, would that help?

We are open to any suggestions to get our compensation.

Thank you,
Meral

Last edited by Prospero; Nov 18, 2018 at 8:19 pm Reason: Add carriage returns to each paragraph to aid legibility