FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Which brands from Mariott are ultra luxury?
Old Nov 18, 2018, 9:43 am
rny321

Programs: MB-LTT , HH-Diam., HGP-Expl.
Some posters have questioned the desire for suite upgrades and other amenities that come with higher status levels. Unless one cares about upgrades to high value rooms and suites and has a reasonable expectation of receiving them or needs the more personalized service that may come with status, it might not make much sense to aggressively seek status. The lower value benefits, like single category upgrades, breakfast, food and beverage credits and welcome gifts are available through programs like Amex's FHR, Visa Infinite, Virtuoso and Hyatt Prive' are at least comparable to what one would receive as a top tier elite in some programs.

When I used FHR for a Peninsula stay, I received an nice upgrade, free breakfast, a $100 F&B credit and a decent welcome gift for a price that wasn't much more than the lowest available rate. Although others have been treated far better, on a recent St. Regis stay I received a minimal upgrade, breakfast, a mini bar credit and a note which acknowledged my status unaccompanied by a welcome gift. If I didn't care about suite upgrades or I thought that my St. Regis experience was typical, I would use one the the above travel agents to book hotels and forget about earning status.

Although there have been some service failures, I am generally happy with the quality of the upgrades that I have received from both the MR and SPG side and I believe the effort I expended towards annual and lifetime status has been worth it. Since I am not blindly loyal to any program, how I am treated going forward will determine my future lodging preferences.

Last edited by rny321; Nov 18, 2018 at 3:41 pm