FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - China 24, 72, and 144 hour Transit Without Visa ("TWOV") rules master thread
Old Nov 17, 2018, 6:50 pm
yydv

confused

I am a little confused about this TWOV. I read this article here https://www.elliott.org/case-dismiss...-free-transit/ where it sounds as though the reason why the family was denied entry for China is because of the definition of "transit passenger." This family in question followed the 72h rule, but were told that
A “transit passenger,” for purposes of China’s 72-hour visa rule, must be planning to fly into one of the cities mentioned above and depart within 72 hours on one itinerary. Air travelers are not considered “transit passengers” if they are arriving and departing on different itineraries or on airlines without interline agreements, as was the case with the Dajays.
This seems to directly contradict the wiki where it says
• Proof of onward flights is required. Flights must be ticketed — reservations alone, without an actual ticket number, will not be sufficient. You may also be asked for proof of hotel booking(s) by immigration at your point of entry to China.

• Onward flight can be on a separate ticket.

• You do not need to be traveling on Chinese carriers for any part of your itinerary.

• Different airlines for inbound/outbound are permitted, even on separate tickets (example: arrive Cathay Pacific, depart Lufthansa is ok).
I am flying in to Shanghai on EVA, but departing Shanghai on KE, so I am wondering now if they will consider me a "transit passenger," and whether I need a Visa.