FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Weather Advisory 11/15 - 11/18 - Northeast/MidAtlantic
Old Nov 16, 2018, 6:00 am
NotHamSarnie

Programs: DL DM PM
Originally Posted by Billy Mumphrey
Yikes, sorry to hear that. I needed to position from DC to JFK tonight and decided several months ago to burn all my Amtrak points rather than fly. Turned out to be a great decision, even though it took forever (left work at 5pm, arrived at JFK at 10:45pm). Still got here 2 hours early to make my MU flight.

Why spend $300 if you could get on the 6am flight? You'd have the whole day in NYC. I'm sure you'd rather be in Europe but to me the train isn't worth $300.
I thought about it for about 5 minutes... Honestly my time is more important than money (at least at the $300 level!) at this point and I can get a lot done here in DC before my train. Plus I'm absolutely exhausted and really wanted a good night's sleep ahead of a TATL in steerage - not even C+!

Good decision you made on the train! I could actually have made my TATL by taking the one non-full train last night because the TATL was 5 hours delayed. I'm kicking myself a bit over that one, but with the 5 hours delay I would have missed my appointment on arrival anyway. This way I have rescheduled comfortably for Monday.