FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - China 24, 72, and 144 hour Transit Without Visa ("TWOV") rules master thread
Old Nov 16, 2018, 4:09 am
LHR/MEL/Europe FF
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by Lebene
Hi, my sister has permanent residence in the UK and is going to New Zealand for my holiday. The layover is 8-9 hours in Beijing. Would she qualify for the 24 hour TWOV? What part of TIMAC would be clear and help convince the UK border to let her through? I went to Beijing to work and at LCY the immigration officer took my passport away convinced my passport was a fake. She didn't say it but what other reason would she have to go check with her manager? I keep my passport in very good condition, I cringe when immigration bends it unnecessarily.
​​​​My passport with previous validated visas to China, no overstay markers, including that current one amongst other travel in Europe and Asia? I'm in my 20s and was with my mum. She tagged my ticket and as a consequence my ticket was scrutinised on my layover in Switzerland. That's with a British passport, so I don't want any incompetent or ignorant personnel to have any reason to deny my sister entry to board her first flight.

The ticket is a return flight.
Hi and welcome to Flyertalk!

Ghanaian passports are eligible for 24 hour TWOV, so that shouldn't be a problem. UK border control is not interested in whether or not a passprt holder is eligible for TWOV in China - only the airline carrying you, and Chinese immigration care. As the Ghana passport is eligible the airline should be fine, as will China.

There are a number of reasons why UK border force might have flagged your passport...for example there could be someone with a similar name to you that is on some watch list, or there could have been some alert about fake passports. This would explain why you were stopped in both the UK and Switzerland (otherwise you'd usually only be stopped once). I know it's frustrating. You could try amd contact UK passports or UK immigration to speak to someone to ask why you were stopped and see what steps you can take to prevent it happening again.

But those issues aren't linked in any way to TROV in China.