FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - five luxury hotels in Provence
View Single Post
Old Nov 16, 2018, 12:18 am
jp-mco

Originally Posted by sydakllon
I'm looking for a place with pretty easy access from Avignon (we'll arrive from Paris by TGV mid-afternoon, then hire a car). Is La Bastide de Gordes a good option for first time visitor to Provence? Or Baumaniere le Baux de Provence? We are looking to do three nights somewhere incredibly charming and quintessentially Provencial, followed by two at Hotel du Cap Eden Roc, then back to Australia from NCE. Not necessarily looking to run around sightseeing/exploring - will be post fashion week so need relaxing.
Are you talking Paris Fashion week here and if so which one? It seems like there's quite a few! I ask because you mention Hotel du Cap-Eden-Roc and it is a seasonal property (like a lot on the Cote d'Azur) and it won't be open from mid-October until the end of April so depending on the dates of your trip you may have to consider an alternative. Our favourite quintessentially French rural property is Chateau Saint-Martin (also of the Oetker). It is very French and in a beautiful serene setting on the hillside above Vence. It has great food, beautiful spacious villas (as well as rooms and suites) and is a fantastic place to relax. Oetker seasonally offer a deal called 'Hillside Chateau & Seaside Chic' where you get a night at each property. Also of note is that it is not easy to get a reservation at Hotel du Cap-Eden-Roc unless you have stayed there before or know someone who has as they offer all accommodation to returning guests first. I would highly recommend taking one of their iconic seaside cabanas though, they are wonderful.