FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - China 24, 72, and 144 hour Transit Without Visa ("TWOV") rules master thread
Old Nov 15, 2018, 8:05 pm
mnbp

Programs: DL PM 1MM
Originally Posted by bahlong
Hello

Thank you for the reply.

My total time in Shanghai going there would be 16 hours (I arrive to Shanghai at 9am and then fly out that same night to Japan at 1:25am but have booked a hotel)

Going back however- I fly from Japan to Shanghai, arrive in Shanghai at 5am and my flight back to Toronto leaves at 10pm the next day (41 hours in Shanghai) and have another 13 hour layover in Guangzhou (which the airline has provided a transit hotel for) then fly back to Toronto

I will be in China for 16 hours total going there
and then roughly 54 hours going back, so can I use the 24 hr exemption going there and then the 72 hour one going back?
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
NO. If you do 41 hours in Shanghai (on your return), you are beyond the 24 hour TWOV which is the only version that allows a plane that stops in CAN too.
+1

MSP is correct, your 54+ hour itinerary including both Shanghai and Guangzhou is not valid for TWOV because the 72 and 144 hour TWOV only includes one region, not two regions in China. A visa is required for this itinerary because the only TWOV which would permit both Shanghai and Guangzhou is limited to 24 hours.