FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - HKG Primer for Extended Business Trips?
View Single Post
Old Nov 15, 2018, 12:07 pm
TravelLawyer

Programs: Hilton Diamond; IHG Platinum; Bonvoy Gold; AA Platinum Pro and United Premier Silver (DH = AA EXP)
Originally Posted by bergamini
1. Recommended affordable Marriott properties near Tseung Kwan O Industrial Estate -- looks mostly to be Design Hotels which I'm not familiar with at all. With my other stays I'm at 745 nights and just 5 short of Marriott Lifetime Platinum Premier Elite so I really only need 5 nights in a Marriott. Then I may see if I can get a status match with IHG and stay at the Crowne Plaza my co-workers are staying at -- but am open, especially if you know of good discount codes or convenient subway stop hotels
I actually have stayed at the CP Kowloon East in TKO for a couple weeks about 2 years ago, so I do have some opinions about the hotel. It's a good hotel with a mall attached. The CP has a business conference room you can borrow that is good for work meetings or discussing projects with coworkers. The CP also has a rooftop bar. Their breakfast buffet is also decent, but costs a pretty penny if it's not included. The elevators can tend to be slow when they have large Chinese tour groups in the area though - sometimes you have to wait several rounds of elevators to get one you can get on. They also don't really give out upgrades to status holders. I was Spire (IHG highest tier) at the time of my visit and was offered free breakfast for one person (second guest has to pay) and a higher floor as my upgrade. Do not expect a better/nicer room or club lounge access to be complimentary.

2. Exercise Places: Namely running paths, tennis (indoor or out) and Pilates. Bonus points for English speaking since German is my only other language.
There's an outdoor pool (might be too cold during the winter) and an indoor gym in the hotel. I didn't really go offsite for fitness, so cannot help with that.

3. Weekend excursions, even if it means flying somewhere (SkyTeam!)
The MTR is conveniently located inside the attached Popcorn Mall, so you can really get to anywhere in Hong Kong with a couple transfers. Macau is a great option - there is a Sheraton and St. Regis under the Starriott umbrella. Even if you head out to Tsim Sha Tsui or Central area in Hong Kong, there are a few Marriott or Starwood properties too if you wanted to explore the city for a weekend.

4. Recommendations on things to pack, where to go if I need urgent health care (I can figure some of this stuff out), best ways to replicate an Uber-like experience for car services, bike rentals, etc.
Pack light, but bring a raincoat and sturdy umbrella. Good walking shoes. Not sure about health care, but you can use Uber in HK. That is my preferred mode of transportation in HK.