FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Trust or Not to Trust EF?
View Single Post
Old Nov 15, 2018, 7:47 am
Gongzuokuang

Programs: Cathay MPC, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Domestic Airline Nobody
Originally Posted by jagmeets

where are you getting the 42/26 etc available- seatmap? While I have always been auto-allocated seats, I have made bookings for non-status passengers where seats were not assigned automatically, till I did so.
I am not familiar with the PoS abbreviation.

For the count... yes, I just look on EF, choose the seat map, and physically count them.

I know that if you don't have status (or probably if you choose a discount fare) you cannot select a seat. But I believe CX still blocks a seat. I believe that is why you see so many blocked seats in Y. That, and group bookings. In any case, I believe they allocate a seat every time one is sold. I would also speculate that once Y is full (or nearly full?) they will start blocking seats in PE. Of course... all speculation! But I haven't heard any other explanation that sounds better. In the picture below, I presume that the "X" seats are seats that have been sold (either individually or as a group), but are not really assigned per se. They are essentially a placeholder. (The exception would be 60G, which might be a bassinet seat, or perhaps reserved for handicapped?) They might also block some for crew transfers?

Anyway, it's my guess that the the open seats reasonably reflect the number of seats available, with some allowance for reservation HOLDS that have not yet been ticketed.