FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Flight From Hell [BA2036 MCO-LGW delayed then diverted to JFK]
Old Nov 14, 2018, 9:38 pm
nologic

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum (3MM), QF Lifetime Gold, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, Ex-Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by T8191
My only major IRROPS in 2016 (LGW-KIN) there was NO direct EC261 information provided to pax, although some EC261 letters were left on the reception desk at the LGW Sofitel where we were put up overnight ... if you knew they were there in the first place. What I was given was the attached letter, with the small-print footnote which I guess covers BA's backside. Fortunately, thanks to FT, I knew what do do in respect of EC261 anyway, but I doubt the majority of pax did or knew how much it was going to be worth!

An “Interesting” Journey to Jamaica with BA (JER-LGW-KIN)
I was delayed more than 4 hours last year on Iceland Air when our outbound BOS flight was delayed (probably 2+ hours) due to late fuel truck supply and our connection to CPH was missed and we arrived 6-8 hours late into CPH.

I was in business class on both segments. I asked for and received a voucher for a taxi and a daytime hotel stay, which I didn't use. I stayed in the longe the whole time. I know enough to ask about EU delayed comp and upon request as to whether this delay qualified, the supervisor said "I think so" and handed me a leaflet on delayed compensation.

The airline DID NOT proactively say to anyone that they might be eligible for EU comp. I mentioned this to one or two people who arrived at the service desk to inquire about our re-routing and they were surprised/enthused, but my interpretation is that the airline never volunteered or indicated anything.

I filed online at the Iceland Air website for EU compensation from the lounge that day and received EUR 600 credit to my credit card within a month or so .

I have been delayed many times on BA 2-4+ hours and never been offered EU delayed comp, but been treated very well. I'm sure the statue of limitations of many if not all of those delays is over and many were due to strikes: one by the ground staff (that's probably BA's fault but also probably 5+ years ago) and at least 2 others by air traffic control issues, but probably others due to mechanical issues .