FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - New to OW
Thread: New to OW
View Single Post
Old Jul 25, 2004, 1:36 am
Guy Betsy
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Originally Posted by retrav1K
I've been reading thru the OW forum and am considering a switch to OW after 20+ years in UA Milage Plus (1K for last 10+ years and Lifetime Premier Exec = *A Gold (=AA Platinum equiv)

Who do I contact at AA to get comp PLAT (even tho my 1K is EXP equiv)and once done do I earn the 100% staus bonus from then on ??

Am considering a AONEx soon... is BKK-SYD-JFK-EZE without a stopover a valid routing ( I would return to USA and Australia later in the trip for other segemtns) ??

Thanx
1. AA doesn't comp anymore. You'd have to do a challenge. Meaning you'd have to fly 10K points within a certain time frame and you'd get Plat which is valid till Feb next year. If you want to retain Plat, you'd have to fly at least 50K points/miles by Dec 31, 2004. Sign up for AAdvantage first and just prior your first flight, call Customer Service and ask to be signed up for the Platinum Challenge. Once you qualify, you'll get 100% base bonus after the first 10K points.

2. If you fly BKK-SYD-JFK-EZE.. you cannot fly back to Australia. But you may via USA if your first JFK is just a connection. An option is to fly BKK-Europe-NYC-EZE.. then you can do EZE-USA-Australia-BKK.