FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Citi AA Executive Card: Is Chip-and-PIN Authentication Possible?
Old Nov 14, 2018, 6:49 am
jordyn

Originally Posted by Tintin
I didn't know this. Thanks. If that is the case, I think, Citi should add PIN capabilities in the AA Executive card. The Executive card is meant to serve the most demanding AA/OW frequent flyers who are likely to travel overseas often. It isn't smart to remove the PIN functionality from this card.
Maybe they should, but they don't (and nor do most of the other high-end cards targeted at frequent travelers like Prestige, CSR, etc.

I don't fly JetBlue.
Eh, who cares? You could also get the Ring card which is also no-fee and no foreign transaction fees, but it doesn't earn any miles at all. Since JetBlue points are basically like a cash discount, if you ever find a situation where it might be a convenient alternative, it would just be a way to earn some minor rewards. But if you're just focused on the "unattended vending machine in Europe" use case, we're not talking about a lot of money or rewards here, so I would just focus on avoiding fees.

Personally, I carry an Arrival+ card, which has an $89 fee, but which works pretty well as a 2.1% cashback card for spending that doesn't get bonuses from any of my other cards.

What other options exist for obtaining a Chip-and-PIN card? I know about the Credit Union cards (such as, First Tech, State Department, UN, etc.), but it is very complicated and time consuming process to obtain a Credit Card from them (getting qualified by becoming member of an organization + opening a savings account + lengthy and often too invasive application process with the CU, etc.). Is there any bank, other than Barclays, offer Chip-and-PIN?
I think some Bank of America cards also fall back to Chip+PIN, but don't know any details.

One alternative is to downgrade the Silver card to the no-fee Aviator card. But the no-fee card seem to have foreign transaction fees, and I am not sure if it will come with Chip-and-PIN functionality.
It should have Chip+PIN, but since you want to use this card internationally, one of the other suggestions above seems better.

If you are a Silver card holder, what are you planing to do with the account when your annual fee ($195) will be due?
I'll be cancelling mine.