FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Citi AA Executive Card: Is Chip-and-PIN Authentication Possible?
Old Nov 14, 2018, 6:29 am
Tintin

Programs: AA EP, HH Diamond, Admirals Club, Global Entry
Originally Posted by jordyn
Unless something has changed recently, the Citi Executive card doesn't support Chip+PIN at all, only Chip+Signature (as is the case with most US-issued cards).

ON the other hand, basically all of the Barclay-issued cards support Chip+PIN as a fallback from Chip+Signature, so you could probably just get a different card from them to fill this gap (maybe something like the JetBlue card which seems to have no annual fee and no foreign transaction fees).
I didn't know this. Thanks. If that is the case, I think, Citi should add PIN capabilities in the AA Executive card. The Executive card is meant to serve the most demanding AA/OW frequent flyers who are likely to travel overseas often. It isn't smart to remove the PIN functionality from this card.

I don't fly JetBlue. What other options exist for obtaining a Chip-and-PIN card? I know about the Credit Union cards (such as, First Tech, State Department, UN, etc.), but it is very complicated and time consuming process to obtain a Credit Card from them (getting qualified by becoming member of an organization + opening a savings account + lengthy and often too invasive application process with the CU, etc.). Is there any bank, other than Barclays, offer Chip-and-PIN?

One alternative is to downgrade the Silver card to the no-fee Aviator card. But the no-fee card seem to have foreign transaction fees, and I am not sure if it will come with Chip-and-PIN functionality.

If you are a Silver card holder, what are you planing to do with the account when your annual fee ($195) will be due?

Thanks!