FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Citi AA Executive Card: Is Chip-and-PIN Authentication Possible?
Old Nov 14, 2018, 4:30 am
Tintin

Programs: AA EP, HH Diamond, Admirals Club, Global Entry
Question Citi AA Executive Card: Chip-and-PIN Authentication Possible? (MAJOR Update, See #31)

I am thinking to cancel my Barclay's Silver Card. My annual fee is due in February, and I feel the real value of the Silver card was its ability to earn 6,000 EQD, which is now gone. It doesn't make sense to spend $50,000 on a credit card to earn 3,000 EQD, and I cannot think of any compelling reason to pay $195 per year to keep this card. However, Barclay's Silver card is Chip-and-PIN enabled as a fallback authentication in the self-service terminals in overseas, which works flawlessly. I used the Silver card in self-service terminals in London, Edinburgh, Paris, Zurich, and Luzern. PIN authentication works without any issue. I also have Citi's Executive card and I am wondering if any of you have tested the Chip-and-PIN functionality of Citi's Executive Card. Is the Chip-and-PIN authentication available as a fallback option in Citi's Executive card? If yes, does it always work (online/offline)? Where have you tried?

Any thoughts/suggestion for any alternative? Will you keep your Silver card account open and pay the annual fee of $195?

Thanks,
Tintin

Last edited by Tintin; Nov 19, 2018 at 8:43 am Reason: See post #31 for valuable verified information. Major Update on 11/19/2018.