FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - DYKWIA in the hotel elevator
View Single Post
Old Nov 14, 2018, 1:13 am
MKE-MR

Programs: *G, ow Saph
Originally Posted by jrl767
last week at the Hampton Inn (El Segundo CA) someone tapped the control pad maybe three seconds after I did, going one floor below me ... how efficient was it to have him wait for a dedicated elevator? if there was another one at the lobby already, fine, but it seems to me that it would have been just as easy to add a second stop for the elevator that I was about to ride
Yeah, that sounds great until the fifteenth time it happens, when the doors are about to close and wait for "just one more".
Of course it happens with regular lifts too.

My problem with the automated programming lifts, experienced on multiple occasions, is that in high traffic buildings they also allocate capacity so that the lift doesn't get full. So, each person is expected to key in their floor individually.
No prizes for guessing what happens when a meeting on the 45th floor lets out and everybody heads downstairs to lunch, but the button's only been pressed one time...and that whole, completely packed lift car has to stop on 44...and 43...and 42...because the lift thinks there's only one person inside so it can pick up more.