FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - HKG Primer for Extended Business Trips?
View Single Post
Old Nov 13, 2018, 11:25 pm
garykung
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by bergamini
1. Recommended affordable Marriott properties near Tseung Kwan O Industrial Estate
The only affordable Marriott property in Hong Kong is CY Sha Tin.

The problem is TKO Industrial Estate is not really accessible from the outside. So the best way to get from the CY to the Estate is through MTR (Shek Mun > LOHAS Park) and then minibus to the inside of the Estate.

2. Exercise Places: Namely running paths, tennis (indoor or out) and Pilates. Bonus points for English speaking since German is my only other language.
If you decide on CY Sha Tin, then the runway along the Shing Mun River (behind the real estate development facing the CY) will be perfect. A public tennis court is available about 5-10 minutes walking distance from the hotel (Advance booking should be required) - Siu Lek Yuen Road Playground. While not casual, Pilates is available in HKJC Sha Tin Club house as a series of classes (guests can enroll without membership).

All of them are English capable (at the minimum, written English).

3. Weekend excursions, even if it means flying somewhere (SkyTeam!)
Shenzhen, which means you will need a Chinese visa in advance. A quick train ride. No flying is needed.

Taiwan is good as well (but I would avoid China Airlines at all costs).

4. Recommendations on things to pack, where to go if I need urgent health care (I can figure some of this stuff out), best ways to replicate an Uber-like experience for car services, bike rentals, etc.
- Pack light. Hong Kong's winter is cold, but not that "North America" cold. So whatever you are wearing plus a jacket should be fine. Also - because you will be there in 3 weeks. So I would say replenishing in Hong Kong will be a better choice. The good news is there is a Wellcome (one of the Hong Kong's major supermarket chain) at the ground level of the CY Sha Tin.

- Check with your employer/insurance in term of overseas coverage. Hong Kong's healthcare system is majorly public, which means that while private practices are available, private practices only handle minor issues. So small problems > private practice. Otherwise, public hospital.

While Hong Kong's healthcare cost is not as expensive as the U.S., the system penalizes non-qualifiers, i.e. you. So it is best to make sure that you can ask for reimbursement in some ways because public entities don't take insurance and you have to pay in cash in most of the case.

- Uber (and other ride-sharing) is illegal in Hong Kong. But the police does not penalize the passengers. So use it at your own risk.

- Sha Tin Park has leisure bicycle rental. The Park is 10-minute bus ride away from the CY Sha Tin.

My last comment on this was TKO may be the nearest in term of where you have to go. But staying near TKO may not be the best idea given that the area is pretty much restricted in some ways. While it is your choice to make, if I were you, I would stay at CY Sha Tin entirely for my first trip and evaluate TKO physically to see if it is a better fit or not.