FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Non-Members in NEXUS / Global Entry / Ready Lanes at Land Crossings
Old Nov 13, 2018, 7:25 pm
dash1729

Originally Posted by bordercrosser
Is there a fine for accidentally using the land Nexus lane if you do not have Nexus?
This raises an interesting question re the Ready Lane at locations like the Peace Arch for those of us who have a Ready Lane document (eg an Enhanced Driver's License) but not NEXUS.

The Ready Lane is only open at specific hours, but yesterday during the hours it was open at the Peace Arch, the arrangement was the regular lanes to the left, a Ready Lane in the middle, and the NEXUS lanes to the right. Approaching the checkpoint there are only regular lanes and a NEXUS lane. Then when you get close to the actual checkpoint, there is an opportunity to merge from the left regular lanes into the Ready Lane or from the right NEXUS lanes into the Ready Lane.

So my question is: is it possible/legal, if one has a Ready Lane document but not NEXUS, to approach the checkpoint using the NEXUS lane, but then merge into the Ready Lane as one gets close. It looked like this would be possible, but one doesn't want to take many risks at the border. I ended up approaching using a regular lane and then merging into the Ready Lane. This saved me a bit of time, as the Ready Lane was moving faster than the regular lane. But far more time would have[img][/img] been saved had I approached using the NEXUS lane and then switched over to the Ready Lane as I got close.

Approach lanes to the regular, Ready, and NEXUS lanes at the Peace Arch. The question is whether it is legal to use the rightmost lane--which is marked only "NEXUS"--to approach the Ready Lane.