FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Which brands from Mariott are ultra luxury?
Old Nov 13, 2018, 5:26 am
MSPeconomist
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
In the past, RC did have more of a brand image IME. Many of them had traditional furnishings, with lots of mahogany wood, floral prints (and different fabrics in different rooms), Chinese lamps, etc. Indeed, I remember walking past some upscale hotel where I somehow didn't see the sign and immediately guessing that it was a RC. This might have been in Seoul about fifteen or twenty years ago. Another part of the image was the dress code even at resorts (Amelia Island, for example, was very explicit about dress codes for kids of different ages) and all the references to staff as "the ladies and gentlemen of the RC".

Currently, I think of RC as a luxury chain with very good (but expensive) club lounges, although few properties have distinct club floors (versus just selling regular rooms with lounge access) and some of course some don't have the lounge. IMO there are some that shouldn't be RCs, such as the deflagged one outside of Kansas City or the one near the Wash U campus on the edge of St Louis. Toronto before renovation had ratty (old, faded, worn, not truly rat infested AFAIK) suites. The relatively new one in Boston seems soulless compared to the iconic historic (but somewhat ratty too) building on the park at Newberry Street which IIRC is now a Taj.

BTW I wouldn't describe JW as a luxury brand with a lounge but rather a somewhat pretentious (they seem to think they're a lot better than they really are) and more expensive version of a regular city Marriott.