FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - It has been 3 weeks - your experience with Fairmont / Accor
Old Nov 9, 2018, 10:43 am
rfrost

Programs: BAGold; AA3MMPlat; UA1MMGold; FBGold; MarriottAmb; AccorPlat; HHGold; ICPlatAmb; HyattDiscoverist
The Savoy has been my primary go-to hotel in London. I returned there very recently for my first post-death-of-FPC stay.
A few changes were immediately apparent—this was the first time I can remember without a pre-arrival email asking for my arrival time, and the first time I can remember not finding a welcome letter or amenity in the room. Earlier in the year, the historic gold-framed photos of famous guests that used to sit on the bed stands seem to have disappeared, replaced by tacky paper bookmarks(?) left at turndown with photos of some of them. And the rose Le Labo toiletries were replaced around the same time with a new Penhaligon’s “Savoy Steam” fragrance.
Although there have been a number of departures, many staff members remain, and it was only being greeted by name by them that made me feel back in my London home away from home.
The day prior to my departure, when my plans had firmed up, I stopped at Reception to request a one hour later checkout. After checking, the receptionist agreed, adding that she was happy to accommodate me “THIS TIME”. ( with strong emphasis on those words)
I still love the hotel, its history, its lovely core staff, and its location. But I don’t think I’ll be staying as frequently as in the past.
Oh, and no one mentioned or offered the welcome drink Accor Plats are supposed to get—I didn’t think to ask while I was there, as I’m not much of a drinker, though I do like both bars there.