FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - North West England to New York advice
View Single Post
Old Nov 9, 2018, 9:17 am
flipper118

Programs: Accor Silver, HHonours Silver, Carlson Gold, BA Blue
Originally Posted by docefc
Hello everyone,

I'm a silver with 200k avios to use, that may sound like I'm an affluent sort who travels round the world a lot, the truth is, every single one of those points has been earned via work related travel and I never really use them for personal travel, this year I have had a baby, purchased my first home, got engaged and planned a wedding. Holidays are way down the priority list HOWEVER in October 2019 I'd like to take my wife-to-be to NYC as she's never been, despite worries about how we could afford it I've said my points can easily cover such a journey and we can book an airbnb in Brooklyn for about £120 a night.

So knowing that flights are released 355 days in advance I started the search for the first time, can anyone tell me what the point of reward flights are or less flippantly if there's a better way to do it? I knew there'd be surcharges but I was thinking they'd be about £200 per person but off-peak economy flights we're looking at about £1.1k + Avios??? Why? You can get return flights on ba.com for £300 per person, I may as well buy them and knock £90 off with avios.

Am I doing something wrong? Is there a cheaper way to do it? What about through Dublin with Aer Lingus?

Also bear in mind any Avios flight is essentially a fully flexible ticket which can be changed/cancelled for a small fee up to 24 hours before departure. You are comparing this with a fully restrictive ticket with no changes/cancellations allowed. Economy isn't the best way to use Avios, but as others have said 200k Avios can get you a nice hotel for 4/5 nights in the heart of Manhattan.

Otherwise 172000 Avios + £ 1,530.92 for Business Class out and Premium Economy back, with Club Europe flights and lounge access at all airports might seem a good option.