FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - BA's upgrade "formula"
View Single Post
Old Nov 9, 2018, 6:33 am
cupsandsaucers

Programs: BAEC: Silver. Nothing else as TopCashBack trumps all hotel programs
BA's upgrade "formula"

So on my last trip (LHR-IAD) we all got upgraded to CW from WT+, we were upgraded rather early, few days prior at least, three of us in the party. I was surprised as I haven't been upgraded for years if not decades. I checked on board and there were tons of CW seats empty and WT+ was indeed completely full.

Interestingly, on the way back (IAD-LHR) we were fairly aggressively (just a phrase) marketed a paid for upgrade, both at the desk and in the lounge. £500 to upgrade from WT+ to CW. Which is actually on the face of it really a rather good deal! But as I happen to like WT+ and being a night flight I knew I would just pass out and sleep the whole way back it would rather be £500 wasted on me so I didn't bite. But I realise it's a good deal.

Anyway... My question is, was that just a coincidence or was it because we had just received an upgrade on the way out? Is the plan from BA, give them a taste for free, then offer a heavily discounted upgrade, then hopefully they will be hooked and buy CW tickets from here on out? Just trying to understand what the thinking from BA is there.