FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - JMB vs. AAdvantage
View Single Post
Old Nov 8, 2018, 8:36 am
bszeto

JMB vs. AAdvantage

I have 5 planned (up to 6) paid business class flights next year between HKG and NYC.
Currently I'm AA plat and should reach EXP by end of this year. Chose AA this year as I started with no status and I can basically reach EXP with 3 RT flights.
Switching to JMB next year seems to offer some nice benefits but I'm not sure if the switch is worth it
Here's what I gather so far in terms of pros/cons for each program

AAdvantage

Pros
Status requirements seem more straight forward to understand and obtain at first glance. Can likely reach EXP again with 3 RT flights, even with the increased EQD requirement. Leaves me opportunity to also obtain status elsewhere (ANA?) if I choose to.
Miles earning will be much higher initially as I will be EXP at start of year.
Upgrades (J to F) seems easier, as upgrades are auto requested?
Can gift SWU to wife and family

Cons
Can't upgrade JL operated flights using miles?
Can't give wife status
Hard landing once I stop flying frequently

JMB

Pros
Ideally most of the flying would be JL operated flights, and upgrades using points is easier
Most of my points redeption will be used for HKG-TYO family trips
Give wife partner status when she travels
Soft landing possibility if quality for JAL global club?

Cons
Need 4 RT flights to reach Diamond based on initial calculation. Leaves no room to obtain status with other airlines
Starting from scratch. Does not seem to have a status match option?
Program seems more confusing than AA in general?
Initial miles earning will be much less
No auto requested upgrades?

Right now i'm leaning towards sticking with AA but the partner status and potential soft landing (if I understand correctly) seems appealing. Am I missing anything? Given the data points above which option would you suggest going with?

Thanks