FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Boycott Paid Stays Until CS & IT issues Fixed
Old Nov 6, 2018, 11:35 am
bhrubin
Suspended

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by SHLTP
Well, Marriott's revenue dropped and stock plummeted last night. I guess I am not the only member who is boycotting paid stays/ moving nights away despite execs calling us at the fringe... And the apologists here who needle needlessly people like me.
Yes, Marriott’s revenue dropped and stock price dropped...just as was true In the last week or so for Hyatt, Hilton, Accor, and IHG. Sorry, but it therefore is difficult to agree with your assessment that Marriott members are boycotting or moving nights away from Marriott to any of those competitors to any degree that matters. It turns out that all of the major hotel companies had very soft Septembers, in particular, which largely was due to midweek Jewish holidays and hurricane-related loss of business.

And still Sorenson referred in the Marriott Q3 earnings call today to the fringe noise related to the loyalty program merge on Aug 18 and concomitant challenges since. I suspect that your opinion is more fringe noise than you’d like to admit.

Coincidentally, Marriott revenue was up 3% in the luxury space, up 1.5-2.% in the upper upscale space, and down 1.5-2% in the select service space. Those numbers actually reflect stronger performance in luxury and upper upscale spaces relative to the competition but slightly weaker performance in select service space.

The problem is not the technical issues (that obviously was not planned for) but total lack of service recovery. No sane person gets upset when there is a little problem with aircon or food but in the service recovery or lack thereof.
And yet the numbers for Marriott weren’t particularly different than those for its biggest competitors. All of their revenues were down and all of their stock prices have taken a tumble. That suggests that the service recovery issues are not the glaring problem being characterized by the subset of members here on FlyerTalk, I’m afraid.

Another drooling lad drenched in sweat babbles that Marriott is best because he has a personal ambassador to make sure he gets salt every meal.
I can’t speak for any othe Ambassador guest, but I don’t add salt to anything. Of course, I also don’t think Marriott is the best. I do think, however, Marriott is the best overall for me. But that still doesn’t mean that I won’t stay elsewhere when the appropriate property choice involves other factors that matter more to me.

I look at the fat man, the prickly salt lover doused in sweat and the clueless manager at Marriott. I say goodbye and don't look back...
Bon voyage, fair maiden. We certainly wish you the best with other hotels and their loyalty programs. I assume that means we shouldn’t be hearing from you any more in the combined Marriott threads since you won’t be bothering more with Marriott stays; if we should, however, then the true charade is revealed.