FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Merits of Marriott Hotels Strike 2018
View Single Post
Old Nov 3, 2018, 8:23 pm
calguy77

I was staying at a strike hotel and had a great conversation with a couple staff members who decided to come back to work and not strike.

Housekeepers make $28 an hours, they also get other benefits for picking up extra rooms, most get Overtime daily. Their health care in $10 a week, covers their entire family.
Bartenders are considered skilled labor and makes around $25 an hour plus about 400-600 a night in tips. WOW is all i can say.
Banquet servers, most make around $80,000 a year and don't have to work 40 a week. Those that called in for 3 hour or short shifts love it because tips are pooled. They can come in a week, work 20 hours and make around $75 an hour in tips. CRAZY!

To me, it seems a bit greedy that they want to make more and more and more.

The sad thing is that tipped employees, servers, bussers, those that make minimum wage get no benefit for this strike. They will continue to make minimum wage.

In regards to the MAGC, it doesn't take away from hours, housekeepers tend to like it because they get a credit for dropping off towels and simple things. less work

In regards to the sexual harassment, housekeepers had panic buttons but didn't like them so stopped wearing them. Marriott made an announcement months ago they are rolling out another program to help with sexual harassment, they don't understand why the union is bringing this up as they all know Marriott is taking care of it.

My biggest question is with 265,000 union members paying, i was told, $70 a month in dues, that over $18,000,000 in dues each month. How come the union can't pay the strikers more????

Anyone staying at a strike hotel i suggest talking to employees working, really opened my eyes.